The Peter Pan statue in Bowring Park is one of seven Peter Pan statues around the world. The original statue was commissioned by J.M. Barrie (the author of Peter Pan) and created by sculptor George Frampton in 1912 to stand in Kensington Gardens, UK. The statue was actually erected in the park overnight as a May Day surprise for children visiting the park.
The six other statues are:
- Egmont Park, Brussels, Belgium (1924)
- Bowring Park, St. John’s, NL, Canada (1925)
- Johnson Park, Camden, New Jersey, US (1926)
- Queens Gardens, Perth, Western AUS (1927)
- Sefton Park, Liverpool, UK (1928)
- Glenn Gould Park, Toronto, ON, Canada (1929)
About the Bowring Park Statue
In memory of a little girl who loved the park…
On February 24, 1918, the S.S. Florizel sank while en route from St. John’s, Newfoundland, to New York City. Ninety-four people died, among them, three-year-old Betty Munn.
Betty’s grandfather, Sir Edgar Bowring, was heartbroken by the loss. Inspired by a statue of Peter Pan that he once saw in Kensington Gardens, England, Bowing commissioned a similar work in Betty’s memory, for Bowring Park in St. John’s.
A symbol of eternal childhood, the Park’s Peter Pan statue celebrates joy and magic and honours a little girl who would never grow up.